Science (Applied) Diploma
These are vocational qualifications that provide students with key skills and specialist knowledge to progress onto many career paths in Science. Students follow a unit-based curriculum that equips them with practical, interpersonal and critical thinking skills alongside theory. The units are completed over 2 years, and include a mixture of internally and externally assessed units.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science (equivalent to 2 A-levels)
There are six mandatory units and two optional units:
• Unit 1: Principles and Application of Science I
• Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
• Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills
• Unit 4: Laboratory Techniques and their application
• Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II
• Unit 6: Investigative Project (Assignment, internally marked)
Optional units may be taken from a range of units such as:
Physiology of Human Body Systems; Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways; Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques; Applications of Inorganic Chemistry; Practical Chemical Analysis.
The Diploma will equip students for higher education, apprenticeships or employment in a variety of scientific settings at technician level. Many work sectors will require you to have higher level qualifications and the course is also a good preparation for moving into higher education in many science courses including Biomedical Science.